Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nappy Roots

Life sucks when you don't take your own advice. How do I know? Because I do this ALL THE TIME!
It's one of the those things that is apart of a larger growth progress in my life. Baby steps, baby steps is what I tell myself each morning and it seems it's working. Positive reinforcement is the first step to actual progress...

Step One: So I decided I need to take better care of my myself, including HAIR MAINTENANCE. I'm coming clean with you all! I'm pretty sure I've read hundreds upon thousands of blogs and articles about natural hair, yet I found myself not really taking care of it. I've been natural for almost two years and thankfully my hair has grown so fast without me actually doing much to it. Even-though, I knew all the tricks, products and etc. I've still been gun shy to actually putting my hands in my hair and getting busy! I've had countless friends detangle my hair for me, do twist-outs, styles and straighten, yet I still didn't take the opportunity to grow with my hair. So here I am beginning anew almost two years in to being natural. Let's just say I was a late bloomer lol...


I think my fear of hurting my hair or ruining my hair paralyzed me from actually being inventive. Before I decided to do the big chop I made sure I  did all of my research beforehand. There's negativity regarding African-American women's hair. This fear that you can ruin your hair or harm it. I always had this fear even when I had relaxed hair. I've learned through my natural hair journey that I can't hurt my hair by trying new things and even if I did damage it, it will always grow back! Don't be afraid to try new things!!!

I successfully twisted my hair all on my own two nights ago! I used my trusty pink spray bottle, coconut oil and olive oil (nothing fancy). My hair was pretty much dry which explains why the twists didn't turn out as tight as I wanted them to be. I hadn't thoroughly detangled my hair since February (I know I'm trifling) so it was quite the ordeal. It literally took me all day, but healthy hair is certainly worth it! Being natural is a gift and it also takes a lot of work. Some people have the misconception that being natural is much easier than having permed hair. Truth be told, it's actually alot more maintenance. I've been blessed to come this far without really damaging hair with my lack of hair maintenance. However, with the length my hair is at now, it's critical I take more interest in my own hair. I must admit I was pretty proud of myself.The twists weren't as tight as I liked, but I know I'll get better in time! For the first two days I kept them pinned up.
I finally took responsibility of my own nappy roots! If you'd like to share your own tips, favorite products or hair journey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment